Money levied from the soft drinks industry will soon be available for schoolsto improve sports facilities and promote healthy living.

Last year, the UK Government announced that its Soft Drinks Industry Levy would come into force in 2018. The levy will tax the soft drinks industry on any product with a sugar content over 5g per 100ml.

The measure is part of a strategy to promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle amongst young people in order to tackle rising rates of obesity and type two diabetes.

The levy is expected to raise around £520 million a year and in England it will be targeted at improving health and fitness of children in primary schools.

What can the Sugar Tax be used for?

The government has allocated money from the levy specifically for:

  • Sports facilities, including pitches, sports halls, gymnasiums and multi-use games areas
  • Changing facilities
  • Playgrounds
  • Kitchens and dining facilities
  • Benefits for your academy

Not only can Multi-Academy Trusts (MATs) and schools offer children better sports facilities and extra-curricular activities but they could generate revenue by offering evening and weekend use to the wider community.

Sugar Tax money will be available through the Healthy Pupils Capital Fund (HPCF) and academies will be able to apply through the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) for project funding.

Condition Improvement Fund criteria will apply to the HPCF, so large MATs will automatically be allocated HPCF funding.

The Department for Education have published details of the allocations of the Healthy Pupils Capital Fund, as well as guidance and terms and conditions of the funding. To view this click here;

The documents, which are housed on the DfE website outline that the funding will be going to local authorities and multi-academy trusts, who will then distribute out to schools they are responsible for.

The Department for Education have given responsible bodies the flexibility to make decisions based on the health and wellbeing needs and priorities in their communities. Schools requiring more information on how the funding will be distributed in their area should contact their local authority or multi-academy trust.

To find out more click here;