Funding for Outdoor Sport and Play using section 106 housing developer contributions/ Community Infrastructure Levy

Section 106 Agreements are sometimes entered into with housing developers to fund sport and play. The methods for collecting such monies are based on existing supplementary planning documentation from Council linked to Local Development Frameworks. This means that the amounts collected and the items/projects on which the monies can be spent can vary throughout areas.

What can be funded?

The funding is for capital items only for children’s play areas or outdoor sports facilities plus indoor sports in certain areas as well as recreation facilities in areas of the North. The funding can be for new facilities or improvements to existing ones for example:

  • new children’s play areas
  • new sports pitches / areas
  • new equipment in an existing play area
  • upgrading of facilities for outdoor sports such as changing rooms
  • Specialised sports equipment e.g. Cricket Roller

Projects must be within specified locations and be open to the general public. Where a local sports club or school is looking to develop or improve facilities, it needs to include appropriate arrangements for wider community use.

Who can apply?

Projects must be located in the specific geographical areas mentioned and applications can be made by non-profit making / constituted organisations such as:

  • Parish and Town Councils
  • Community groups
  • Resident’s Associations
  • Sports Clubs (subject to the Council being satisfied with arrangement for community use)
  • Schools (subject to the Council being satisfied with arrangements for community use)
  • Council Departments

Individuals or businesses are not eligible for funding.

To find out more contact your local council Planning department.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply